Memorial Day

I generally watch Fox News. Fox has gotten a bad rap of being the “Bush” television network, and/or conservative to a fault. By definition to some, that makes it evil. It isn’t. It portrays divergent points of view, including the conservative point of view which through my personal observation gets the fuzzy end of the lollipop on the broadcast networks. It certainly is the antithesis of Dan Rather. The same can be said for Fox and Friends, the Fox morning show, versus the Today Show. That being said, on the weekends, I tend to watch either CNN or the MSNBC for different perspectives of the news, plus the fact I don’t really care for the Fox weekend teams which tend to be smarmy.

Today is Memorial Day. When I woke up, I turned on CNN at 7:30 to see if the world blew up last night. The first story I saw had to do with the American atrocities that allegedly occurred in Iraq sometime ago. It was portrayed something akin to the Holocaust. The next story concerned itself with the war protesting grandmothers, some of whom were arrested during a demonstration. Within the story, the reporter solicited the opinion of a 9 year old girl who said she agreed with these activist grannies because Bush was….and she made the cuckoo sign next to her head. I am certainly better for hearing that “lil darling's” opinion. The following story had to do with how the US Congress has violated the Constitution by passing a law attempting to limit political protests at military funerals, including cat calls and obscenities shouted at the grieving survivors of the soldier being buried. The reporter opined that the ACLU should certainly challenge this in the courts as a violation of free speech, common sense and a minimum of respect notwithstanding. The final story concerned itself as to how the United States "lost control" of Afghanistan.

CNN is a worldwide broadcast organization. Doesn’t it think for one minute that its Memorial Day broadcasts are being watched by our enemies? We are in the middle of a war, and American soldiers are dying. In the age of instant communication, why feed propaganda fodder to the islamo-fascists who are killing our soldiers?

I am not opposed to vigorous debate to the conduct of the war, but on Memorial Day, it would appear to me that CNN could use some self control and forbearance and broadcast these stories at some other time. Memorial Day is a day to respect the best of the best of our nation who have sacrificed everything so we can enjoy freedom. Put the political debate aside for at least one day, and honor these folks.

Back in 1970, young men of my age were being drafted and sent to the slaughter in Vietnam. I was not brave enough to sign up for military service. My draft number was so high Julie Nixon would have been drafted before me. When I look back on those days, my respect and admiration for the men who serve grows each day. They did what I wouldn’t, and didn’t have to do.

PBS broadcast a history of the days leading up to the Normandy invasion. What struck me was how willingly those brave soldiers stormed the beaches, slogging through water and sand and land mines and fences, scaling cliffs, under a barrage of machine gun fire. Would I have been brave enough to have done that? I am not sure.

So shame on whatever media chooses today to slam the United States effort in Iraq instead of honoring the fallen dead. God bless America, and I thank God for those who were willing to die for me and my family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party