The More We Get Together...

Politics is politics, but this year’s campaign has taken a nasty, nasty turn. With the Dems running a full court press to take control of the House of Representatives, the “scum” factor has reached new lows on both sides. I cannot refrain from commenting.

Although I am a Republican, I have not been particularly thrilled with George Bush. The three areas that have concerned me are 1) his lack of attention to health care insurance issues; 2) the change in the Medicaid laws, which is lethal to the middle class and not well publicized; and 3) the lack of governmental incentives for the rapid development of alternative fuels to oil. As to the Iraq war and the war on terror, there are no good alternatives. And I have been disappointed in the Democratic Party’s continual sniping without offering any alternatives. That leads me to believe they have none, and for those issues I would rather deal with the devil I know versus the devil I don’t.

All of the above are important issues to this country. In August, I really wanted to take a look at the Democratic candidates and see if I might vote Democratic this year. In the Ohio Governor’s race, I was familiar with Democrat Ted Strickland as my district’s Congressman. I have met him twice, and he seems like a nice enough guy. He touts himself as an ordained minister and a college professor. Both of those professions reek of “Ivory Tower-itus”. But at least I expected some honesty, until I saw his ad relating to the health care initiative of Ken Blackwell, the Republican nominee. Blackwell is proposing Ohio adopt the Massachusetts state health plan which is a recognized model for affordable health care insurance throughout country, supported by both parties. Strickland’s television ad denigrated the proposal with a patently false representation as to how it works, and what it would cost the average family, especially the poor. So much for Strickland’s honesty.

While the Dems have continually pounded Bush on his Iraq policy, I have yet to see any proposals other than the far left mantra of pulling out now. In the Ohio Senate race, Republican Mike DeWine has never been my favorite Ohio Senator, but Sharrod Brown has not proposed one constructive alternative to anything. This morning, I saw the Democratic National Committee sponsored ad supporting Brown’s candidacy, and it was disgusting. It featured grotesque, superimposed images of DeWine next to Bush, with the background music being a bunch of children singing “The more we get together, the happier we’ll be…” So much of intelligent discourse.

Finally, the Mark Foley feeding frenzy over suggestive emails and obscene instant messages is almost comical. I had to sit through Bill Clinton’s administration, having to explain to my 10 year old son what oral sex was while watching the news at breakfast. While I certainly want to know what Dennis Hastert knew as Speaker of the House, I am equally as curious to know how the Democrats got instant messaging text print outs, when they got them, and to whom they were communicated and when. I also want to know if whoever spearheaded this issue with the press discussed it first with the young page's family, who requested that it be kept quiet with no further action. If Hastert only had questionable emails and the Dems had the more incriminating instant messaging texts, who is the bigger villain? The timing of this is just too pat for me to not come to any conclusion other than Hastert may have known something was amiss, but the Dems knew it, too, plus much worse, and kept it secret in order to time an October surprise. If that turns out to be the case, both parties should be investigated.

Does the above answer why the voter turnout in the United States is among the lowest in the world?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party