God, Infinity, and Channel 62

Please visit: Mark Knows It All, the Web Site


There is an order in life. The sun comes up in the morning and the moon comes out at night. Christmas comes in the winter and Easter in the spring…and so on. These are things on which you can count. It gives one constancy. Several weeks ago, my secure world was disrupted. Armstrong Cable changed my cable line up. What happened to Channel 62?

Whenever I travel, I am always glad to get home to my own cable company’s channel lineup. Armstrong Cable has always had a certain symmetry to it channels. This divinely inspired natural order was probably created on the sixth day. After all, God rested on the 7th, and probably wanted to watch some television.

So…NBC, CBS, and ABC were on Cable 2, 4 and 7. CNN was on cable 3. HBO was always on cable 5. Cable 6 was always some stupid station like Disney or something else. Channel 8 was ESPN. As Armstrong added stations, it followed a natural progression. USA, Nickelodeon, and TNT were next on the lineup. Then Channel 12 which was the local PBS affiliate, and Channel 13 which used to be WUAB out of Cleveland. The teen channels were saved for MTV/VH1 type channels. 19 and 20 were public access, and were difficult to navigate through with the clicker. Cable 21 was Cinemax. Then came the shopping channels, then the movie channels, then Channel 36 and WQED out of Pittsburgh (the best PBS station in America). Up next, the snob channels: AMC, A&E, Discovery, and History; followed by the food and home improvement channels. Then came the gender channels: Lifetime, WE and Spike TV.

Crowning this inspired sequence of stations was Cable 62 and Fox News. It was the last and best stop on your remote control. I started with Law and Order on Channel 2, then CNN news on Channel 3, then surfed through 60 more stations of total gar-BAGE to end up at Fox News, the station all discriminating viewers should be watching. Like a great, big American flag billowing in the wind after being planted on a mountain’s summit, Fox News was a shining beacon in the vast wasteland of cable, shedding its light on all the lesser channels beneath it. God Bless America.

Then one day I tuned in Channel 62 for my daily dose of “fair and balanced.” There was nothing. Nada; Nichevo; Rien de tous. I frantically clicked through the channels. 62 was passed over, a sure sign it had been removed for the lineup. It can’t be: 59, 60, 61…63!! Oh no! My wife called me from home. My mother called me. Where was Fox News? I frantically dialed the cable company. How dare they remove Greta and Geraldo and O’Reilly. What about Sean Hannity? I know. It is a vast left wing conspiracy. The libs had triumphed. We were now condemned to the vast wasteland of Chris Mathews, Tim Russert, and Anderson Cooper.

After 45 minutes waiting for an Armstrong “service” representative, and a recording telling me 30 times my call was important to them, a very nice lady told me to look on Channel 21. There it was. Fox was now next to the local access channels, a slum spot if there ever was one. These are the channels I can never could get my clicker to stop on. “No, I didn’t see your lineup change notice between the car ads, the Poland Presbyterian Church Spaghetti Dinner notice and Boardman High School’s 2006 “Winter” concert.” Two weeks later, this dreadful turn of events was still filtering down among my friends and officemates.

Fox News is now in the middle of the channels, which is inconvenient when surfing up the channels looking for something to watch. I now have to go backwards to get to it if beforehand I feel like watching Giada shake her very ample assets while making Tuscan chicken, or Paula Deen put five pounds of butter into her mac and cheese, or watch some lady kill her husband on Lifetime.

To make matters worse, the Sci Fi Channe is in the the channel lineup sweet spot: Channel 5, right next to ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN. Who wants to see giant bugs devouring buxom women while deciding to watch CSI Miami, CSI, Without a Trace, or Law and Order 1 through 35. On the other hand, it could be counter-programming to Hillary Clinton on CNN.

As the cable lineup begins to approach infinity as HD channels are being added each month, I can only remember fondly when Fox News sat at the top of the channel list. All that is left now is a hole on my dial where Channel 62 used to be, and hole in my heart. Anyone have a Zanex?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Certainly when it comes to "unfair and unbalanced" nothing beats Fox News. Take off the blinders that insipid channel has put on you and watch The Daily Show and Colbert instead. Liberal media bias is a lie and Fox News perpetuates the myth. For example, when Obama gave his speech about race all Fox News could come up with was an attempt to discredit Barrack because, "he read his presentation off the prompter". This is the same channel that, despite massive evidence to the contrary, still thinks calling him by his middle name and claiming he's a muslim is fair and balanced reporting. Well, given the off-the-cuff lies that spew from the Fox talking heads I think they should only be allowed to read prewritten stuff - not that those lies would be either fair or unbiased, they'd still come off looking like stupid crybabies. The only thing good about Fox News is that you can heat your house with all the hot air and flatulance that station provides. Bravo to Armstrong for removing such abusive and mind-numbing programming from their offerings.
Anonymous said…
Here's some things to watch until you can find Fox News (although I have to wonder why anyone would want to find Fox News....):

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=91294&title=cavutos-bush-chat&tag=generic_tag_fox_news&itemId=105386

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=114232&title=drown-syndrome&tag=generic_tag_fox_news&itemId=105386

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=91354&title=president-bush-in-his-own-words&tag=generic_tag_fox_news&itemId=105386
Anonymous said…
My goodness, the previous anonymous comment was certainly biased against Fox News! I got blasted from a friend recently because I said that I watched both CNN and Fox News. My friend told me that CNN was a "garbage" channel, and that I should not watch it at all! We both know that there are many different mind sets out there, and when the Democrat Donnybrook occurs, sometime this summer, I am going to watch whatever channel covers it the best! LOL

Keep up the good work Mark!

SK
Anonymous said…
and here's one more:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=117466&title=the-question-mark&tag=generic_tag_fox_news&itemId=105386

Cut-and-paste it to your web browser since this website doesn't comprehend links apparently.
Anonymous said…
Mark you rock. I felt the same way. WE took 21 off our TV so now I have to press 2 then 1 instead of the > button on the remote. I thought I was the only one in NE Ohio that watch Fox. Thanks I don't feel all alone :)

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party