Time for Universal Technology Standards

Today I have reached the end. I am technologied out. I wrote about this several weeks ago, and I am going to write about it again today. If some uniform standard of compatibility for our electronic gizmos isn’t established soon, this country will be in big trouble. Patent and proprietary rights laws need to be updated and modernized to account for the rapid advancements in digital technology, and the country’s complete reliance on this myriad of non-compatible advancements. One break in this indispensible technological chain could bring this country to a grinding halt.

A case in point is my wireless mouse. Two years ago, I bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse set to go with my laptop. The mouse has been giving me fits. It is difficult to use and patently unreliable. I go through batteries like water, and it still only works when it wants to. I looked for a replacement, and lo and behold, Microsoft doesn’t make this model anymore.

So I went to Best Buy to look for a compatible mouse. Any of them will do, said the 18 year old clerk. Ya! Right! I stood in front of the shelves of selections of wireless mice for an hour trying to figure out what to buy. There are standard mice, optical mice, and Bluetooth mice. Some require a CD to install, others are plug and play. Some work at one frequency, others at another.

My problem is that I didn’t want to screw up my wireless keyboard trying to install a new wireless mouse. The clerk pulled one off of the shelf and told me to try this one. It was a plug and play…translate: you don’t have to install software, just plug the receiver into a USB port. It made sense to me. It was a Microsoft mouse. I had one like it at my office. The worst that could happen would be that it couldn't connect to my current broadcast pod and I would have to use another USB port for the the plug and play. Long story short: when I plugged it in, my computer went to blue screen flashing I had 60 seconds to a complete crash...with a countdown displayed on the screen. I hurriedly did what I am never supposed to do, pushed down on the on/0ff button until the computer turned off. I unplugged the plug and play...and thank God the computer started up just fine. But I still have to use my old mouse.

Meanwhile, my son wanted to use my printer to print some things from his computer. He spent hours trying to make it work. Finally, he started from scratch installing the software on his computer so he could use my printer..and it worked…sort of.

Therein lays the problem. At the end day, a wireless mouse should work in any computer into which you plug it. There should be interchangeable standard software that is installed on all computers that would allow for easy replacments and connectivity. Upgrades and technology are fine, and obviously should be available to those who want them. But there should be an agreed minimum base of operational useage. This should be for printers, mice, screens, and basic audio and video. Maybe it's there, but I sure don't see it.

I understand the arguments that different equipment has different standards and performs all sorts of non-compatible functions. But at the most basic of levels, all devices should be interchangeable. If scientists can come with a unified theory of physics, our computer gurus should be able to do this.

I know I am whistling in the wind, but it is something that we, as society should consider and require. Anybody out there listening? Maybe the guru wizards have plug and play brains!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party