Elijah, Tea Parties and Things



This past week, I was able to experience two reasons why I choose to live in the Mahoning Valley. I have written numerous times about the extreme levels of talent in our area. For those in the arts, and for a very midland talent like myself, it gives us a chance to participate in events that would not be available in cities substantially larger than ours.

For its spring concert, my Seraphim Chorus presented a full blown version of Mendelssohn’s Elijah. It was approximately three hours long, and presented with four world class soloists, a boy soprano, a chamber orchestra, a kick ass organ, and of course, the 50 member Seraphim Chorus. St. Michael’s Church in Canfield provided an outstanding venue. Attendance was better than expected notwithstanding the Vindicator’s multi-day mistake saying there was a $22.00 admission fee (it was actually a free will offering)…but that’s the Vindicator for you.

Although I enjoy classical music to a degree, I have to take it in small doses. Unfortunately for me, this was a mega dose, but I dutifully showed up for rehearsals trying to improve my mind and experience the music while being out-sung by many singers much more talented than me. My back was in extreme pain aggravated by all the standing up and sitting down. But participation in this type of program comes along once in a lifetime, and I didn’t want to miss the opportunity.

It is a magnificent piece of music, and I concluded it is more fun to sing than to listen to unless you are familiar with it. For those of you not familiar with the music, it is an oratorio telling the story of how Elijah stopped Israel from worshipping the false god Baal to return to the true God of Israel. It is dramatic and powerful, filled with fire and floods and Jezebel and chariots and throwing the bad guys over a cliff. It would make a great television series.

I am glad I did it. Kris Harper, Seraphim’s stalwart director, pulled off what looked like an impossible task last January. No one knows the work and planning and money that go into this kind of an effort. Kudos to him, and to all the participants, for showing once again why it is great to live in Youngstown!

Fast forward to April 15th and move from God damn Baal to God Bless America. The Tri-County Patriotic Tea Party sponsored a “taxed enough already” event on the green in Canfield. On an absolutely beautiful spring evening, it was Americana on parade with waving flags, patriotic songs, and political speeches.

Whether you are a staunch conservative like me, or simply a curious onlooker, this personified what makes America great. We sat on our lawn chairs cheering for the good guys and booing for the bad guys, as Americans begin to take the country back. Anita Fraser, President of the Tri-County group, did an outstanding job as always in organizing a first class political rally.

It's hard to watch the news as those of us who attend these events are portrayed as racist or some kind of fringe nuts. Most of us are middle class, middle aged plus, and just want to be left alone from an intrusive government. Kids played on the grass. Folks walked their dogs. We socialized with friends, both old and new. We listened to Congressional candidates and a certain former Congressman recently released from his unfortunate incarceration. Like him or not, he can give a hell of a speech and throws the crowd the raw meat they crave. It’s hard work saving America.

When it was over, my friends and I went to Perkins for some dinner. Us racists right wing reactionary extremists need our nourishment. All and all, a perfect evening for political junkies like me…and the pancakes were great too.

I wonder if the restless crowds portrayed in Elijah would attend modern day tea parties. Of course, the tea party people don’t throw folks over a cliff. Who knew?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party