Simple Rules for Life

I have a friend who is currently recuperating from some back issues in a rehab center. He is close to 80 years old, but you would never know it to talk to him. I have known him for over 40 years, and he sounds and looks the same. He always has a smile; always has a good word: always ready for a laugh.

Several months ago I was having some personal issues. He must have seen it in my face when out for dinner with some mutual friends, and on his own he asked me to pay him a visit just to sit and chat. We talked awhile. He was just what the doctor ordered. He told me all you have to know in life are God’s two great commandments. Love God. Love your neighbor. If you can do those two things, you will have lived a good life. How simple and to the point. Two simple rules that can make a difference!

I am no great theologian. Being raised Catholic I thought there were many more rules than that; meatless Fridays, fast for three hours before communion, go to Catholic School or go to hell, don’t touch the host, don’t go to morally objectionable movies…etc. Oh yes, and don’t forget those Holy Days of Obligation. I think there are seven of them.

Watching the events of this past weekend, I know that I am a little short of the mark on the second rule…that loving your neighbor thing. We were able to compare and contrast. We saw the love of a young couple born into privilege and wealth. We saw a pope beatified and on his way to becoming a Saint. And we saw a mass murderer meet his end at the hands of those he hated the most. How do you love him? What do you do with someone who killed thousands of people in the name of his God? There isn’t any answer. I guess you just have to work on it.

Tonight he gave me another rule. He said he most important things in life are family and friends. Cherish them and keep them close. There are too many people in the world who have neither and are alone. I do a lot of work with seniors, and I have seen loneliness. Nobody deserves to be alone in their senior years and yet that is exactly what is happening more and more in our age of digital enlightenment. Once again, there is no answer. Something else we need to work on.

So there you have it, the key to a happy life. Love God. Love your neighbor. Cherish your friends and family. Simple rules! If only we knew how to do it!!! If you figure it out, let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party