The Good Stuff


What kind of ice cream do you like? My favorite is spumoni, and it better be the good…not the Neapolitan Ice Cream stuff you buy at Sparkle Market. Three layers of variably colored layers does not Spumoni make (huh?). Spumoni needs to be made with love. It needs a rich chocolate layer with bits of chocolate throughout. It needs a pistachio layer with chopped pistachios adding texture. It needs a strawberry layer with real dried fruit bits added…preferable soaked in something good like wine or rum. THAT makes good spumoni. Then top it off with some real whipped cream and sprinkles.

Spumoni, like all good stuff, is hard to come by these days. There was an editorial cartoon in the Vindicator where a couple driving a car stopped and asked someone at an Internet Café for directions. The guy answered: “A retail bookstore? You drive past the drive-in theater. That’s down where the doctor who makes house calls lives. Turn left at the record store. It’s right across the street from the full service gas station at the end of You Must Be Dreamin’ Avenue.”  Ouch!!!

Where do we get the good stuff these days? Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised a number of times. My barber goes out of his way to make me happy. I bank at PNC and the folks there are terrific. Their efforts at friendly “local” service are a bit transparent, but they are always pleasant and call me by name. If I have a problem, I go to the branch and they go out of their way to solve it. We have had some work done around our house, and all of the workman have been prompt and courteous and priced within reason. Best Buy did an outstanding job of installing my new television system (you have to have a “system”), and helping me out with my home wireless network issues. They were pricey, but worth every dime. Even down at the courthouse, the employees there have been on their best behavior. Lately it has been a pleasure dealing with these folks. I was in the Probate Court in Warren a few weeks ago, and those folks would have made me lunch if I asked them. I didn’t know what to do.

My doctor is great. He comes in and lies down on the table and asks me to tell him my troubles. He listens intently and always has a solution with a smile. My car guys are great, always friendly and helpful and honest. They even wave when I drive by their garage (Bellino’s) on Route 224. My new masso-therapist dude is also great. I am uncomfortable going to these guys, but the doctor says I have to. Dan is extremely considerate and always asks if it is okay if he does something that he feels may make me feel uncomfortable (that is good stuff because some of them just push and knead the hell out of you).

I do miss those things mentioned in the editorial cartoon. But then again, I always fell asleep at drive-ins, and the sound really sucked. I loved to go to the bookstore and browse, especially in the winter. So many have gone under, but Barnes and Noble is still there hocking its Nook, but the books are still there too. I told you about my doctor…with the parrot in his office.  I used to look forward going to the record store and listening to albums back in the listening booths. But now I got my smart phone, and I listen to samples on Amazon and I download right in the comfort of my family room…and I can play my tunes in my car, on my Bose, in my bathroom, and while walking around the block for my constitutional. Serve yourself gas is still a bummer, but if we get electric cars, who needs gas?

I still go to the smaller grocery stores, and avoid all big box stores. I can order stuff by the case on line and it is delivered right to my front door. I bought a year’s supply of deodorant that way, and I gave a case to my son as an early Christmas present. I even buy my suits on line…and when they are delivered by the friendly UPS or Fed Ex guy, it is like Christmas in July. I open the box, and ooh and ahh. Just like in the Music Man, I wait for the "Wells Fargo Wagon" to come down the street.  That’s good stuff, isn’t it?  And not too much different from today. (Didn't think I could tie that You Tube video in, did you!!!  And isn't Opie terminally cute?)

Lots of good stuff is gone, but it has been replaced by other good stuff. And I really do need to find good Spumoni ice cream. Here’s an idea. Like lots of things today, sometimes the good stuff is found in things you make yourself. Would someone please get me some dried fruit and rum? On second thought, screw the dried fruit. Just the rum, please. No, make it Jack Daniels.  That is really good stuff!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party