Me and American Restoration

It has been a long campaign. Even for a politically active person like me it has been a campaign way too long. Then again, it has been a long four years. Each election cycle I marvel at the intelligence of the American public, and sometime its ignorance. This year my faith has been restored. It has been a different kind of campaign. Conservative and center right moderates acted on their own motion. For three and half years there was no center to rally around…no standard bearer of leader. Yet Americans by the millions acted on their own sense of what it means to be an American forming Tea Parties and Pacs and ad hoc groups operating independently of each other yet all working towards a common goal: American Restoration.

While Obama and the Dems tried to fracture America, pitting poor against rich, black against white, young against old, and Hispanic against “white” Hispanic, men against women, a funny thing happened on the way to those faux pillars. American conservatives came together. Contrary to the left wing narrative, it was and is a broad based political movement. African Americans are not the stand alone group portrayed by the left. I have made more African American friends the last four years than in my entire lifetime…conservative African Americans that are eschewed by the left. Most of the Tea Party organizations were headed by women who continue to play a major role in not only in the conservative movement, but within the Republican Party. Hispanic and Indian small businessmen understand economics and are playing an ever increasing role as conservatives.

As the left continues to spew hatred and anger, the conservatives among us continue to make progress towards the American ideal of equal opportunity for all and racial and gender equality. Chris Matthews and those of his ilk can lecture people like me all they want, but I know what I see. I know what I hear. I know who my friends are…and they are a cross section of America. Although much progress still needs to be made in the conservative relationship with the gay community, dialogue with my gay friends shows me that there is common ground and hopefully in the future will bridge the divide.

Whether Romney or Obama wins the on November 6, my political path has taken me to new and exciting places. I have met all sorts of interesting people from all walks of life. Some of them I like a lot, some of them not so much…but I will shake anybody’s hand. I have a renewed sense of what it means to be an American. I have re-examined our founding documents and lived a four year civics lesson. I have raised money. I have learned about non-profit corporations. I have produced commercials. I have learned how to throw a fundraiser. I formed a super-pac. I got people not politically inclined involved. I have worked the polls. I have debated the best and written newspaper columns.

I have also learned that politics is a rough and tough business. The truth is not so pretty no matter what your political affiliation. But that’s okay. Once you accept it, and learn how to operate in that environment, then you can make small changes…baby steps to make America better.

I wish I could tell you that the most important thing to do on November 6 is vote if you haven’t already, but I can’t. The most important thing is to vote Obama out. I deeply believe that if Barack Obama is re-elected as President, the nation will face a long and difficult road with no chance of going back. But then again, looking at my experiences over the past four years, my faith in the American people renews itself once again. Whether this election or one in the future, America will be restored.

God Bless America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strouss-Hirshberg; Things That Aren't There Anymore

Hope vs. Aspiration

New and Improved: Big Bosomed Women Who Party